The Rotterdam Knowledge Lab of Urban Big Data aims to promote knowledge about and development of urban big data policies. To this purpose, it yearly awards a prize for the best thesis on the subject. The winner receives €1.500 and an opportunity to present his/her thesis to an audience from the Rotterdam municipality.
Conditions for the 2020 Award
Master’s theses from Erasmus University Rotterdam or Bachelor’s theses from the Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences are eligible for the award if they are:
* About (big) data solutions for urban challenges, in any field (including health, economy, mobility, governance, education and safety). Theses do not need to be specifically about Rotterdam.
* Written in Dutch or English
* Graded with 7.5 or higher
* Completed in the academic year 2019-2020
The winner presents his/her thesis to a small audience from the Rotterdam municipality.
The submission deadline is 1 October 2020. Please submit your thesis in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your full name, personal e-mail address and phone number, thesis grade, and at which department and university you wrote your thesis.
A jury with representatives from the municipality of Rotterdam, Erasmus University Rotterdam, and Rotterdam University of Applied Sciences will review all submitted theses and appoint a winner by December 2020. Thesis supervisors will not be consulted. Theses will be reviewed with regard to:
* Clarity of the research question
* Extent to which the research question is answered
* Clarity of the method or approach
* Clarity of conclusions
* Societal and scientific relevance and originality
* Argumentative coherence
* Use of sources
* Language use and the structuring of text
Please contact Fadi Hirzalla (email@example.com) for more information about the award.